Poopy Diapers and Burp Rags

All things Jonathan

Thursday, August 18, 2005

School Supplies

Well, school started back up this week, and it sure has been interesting. Since I was changing schools, I packed up all of my teaching supplies to bring them home for the summer. Since we live in a 2 bedroom apartment my school stuff has been left somewhere in between the "office" and the "living room." i was excited when 3 weeks ago the principal said we could start moving into our rooms and I could finally get the "stuff" out of our living space....! Well, when my husband and I went to the school, we unlocked the door to the room and saw that someone had intentionally clogged the sink with the faucet on full blast....which meant that the whole building (kind of like a "pod" with 6 adjoining classrooms...) was flooded with 45,000 - 75,000 dollars worth of damage. GRRRRRR. Not only could we not move in, but we won't be able to get into our rooms for awhile....which means my "stuff" is still in boxes in my living room. Well, they found a small space for me to fit my 30 students...and I should be thankful that everything is going good so far. I refuse to unpack all my boxes when I'm just going to have to go and move into my "real" classroom later. So, I'm just kind of winging it now, which I hate. Everything seems so unorganized, and my classroom (or I should say closet) isn't as CUTE as I want it to be...as a matter of fact, it's boring.
I am at the same district, but a new school which is closer to my apartment and it seems like such a culture shock. The students all come from a low income area, and are quite a bit lower academically than my class last year (which the school was located in a more "well to do" area.) The truth is, I LOVE IT!! Yesterday I gave out some scratch n sniff stickers and by their reactions you would have thought I handed them each a 100 dollar bill! It was awesome. Many of my students come from homes where English is not spoken, so the reading level is probably at more of a 1st grade level. I am very stressed about the whole situation, but at the same time, I'm excited to see what will happen. My students are so stinking cute too...and I love how they call me "maestra" or "teacher." It is also fun to try and pronounce their Spanish names, because some of the names are really hard (like "Maigualida") and I am so bad at saying them...and when I try, they all giggle at me because I butcher it! I think this will be a very interesting year...once I get to move into my REAL classroom and make it as cute as I want!

Any suggestions on the language barrier "stuff?"


p.s. my pregnancy has been going awesome, I'm really starting to feel him kicking, and I even see my belly moving sometimes now...it's so weird. This whole process has been very strange for me, and now that it's becoming more real to me, I'm getting more and more excited....even though I have no clue about anything about babies...yikes.

2 Comments:

  • At 8/19/2005 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't worry. Most people don't know anything about babies when they have one. I had to take one of those baby basics classes at the hospital to learn things like how to bathe Leah. But really you just learn as you go day by day. That is what makes parenting so much fun! - Sarah Nash

     
  • At 8/19/2005 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Erin, you will do fine, that little boy has a treat coming - his mama!! And....you have a bigger treat coming - this tiny little boy! You two will get along famiously; it will just be another learning experience but with greater rewards! lv - g

     

Post a Comment

<< Home