Poopy Diapers and Burp Rags

All things Jonathan

Saturday, February 19, 2005

What I am reading:

Last night I started reading "A Shattered Visage; The Real Face of Atheism" by Ravi Zacharias. This is a book written to show the weaknesses in the atheistic argument. So far it has been very interesting, although I do need to spend a lot of time doing research on various items in the book so I can have a better understanding of the illustrations and concepts. Mr. Zacharias has a very advanced vocabulary...and I do not, which is why I chose to keep it simple and teach 2nd grade. Although many of the words do sound familiar I have no idea what they mean, or what I thought they meant doesn't seem to make sense so, I've had to look up words such as: "diametrically," "emasculate," "expiate," and a plethora of other words that I do not use in the daily agenda in second grade! I have also had to familiarize myself with various philosophers and their theories, for instance...can anyone tell me what Aristotelian-Ptolemaic cosmology is? Or what is the Copernican theory of the solar system? What was the Piltdown hoax? It seems to me this book may be more work than I thought...maybe I should just settle down to read "Charlotte's Web" again...I will keep you updated on my progress.

2 Comments:

  • At 2/20/2005 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Charlotte's Web" sounds like a good choice to me!!! :) g

     
  • At 2/21/2005 7:21 PM, Blogger Timanda said…

    Hi Erin!

    Aristotelian-Ptolemaic cosmology refers to the way these two philosophers viewed the universe. Aristotle, in particular, viewed everything as having a purpose. A seed's purpose is to become a plant. A kitten's purpose is to become a cat, etc. The big word for this is "teleological" or goal-oriented. Although Aristotle himself was not a Christian (since he died before Christ was even born!) a lot of his philosophies were latched onto by the early Catholic church.
    Copernicus believed in a heliocentric solar system, which means the sun (helios) is the center of the solar system, rather than the earth. He also figured out that the planets orbit in an elliptical fashion rather than circular. For years, the church thought this was unbiblical, to the point that the pope ordered Copernicus either to recant his "heresy" or be jailed. Galileo faced similar persecution, I believe, although I could be getting them mixed up.
    The Piltdown hoax was originally thought to be proof for the evolution of man in the form of one of the "missing links." It turned out to be, as the title implies, a hoax.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home